Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Expanding the stage . . . .

Today the Tiny Dancers are five weeks old.  It's hard to believe that five weeks have passed already.  I know that sounds like a cliché, but it's a fact.  The Dancers are getting steadier and steadier in their execution of their steps, and the fun is really building each day.

The past week was Reading Week at the University of Ottawa, which meant that it was "Play with Puppies Week" for me.  I did absolutely no work apart from the work involved in caring for my home, Victory, and the puppies.  Mostly what I did was watch puppies, interact with puppies, and take photos and video of puppies. It was heavenly -- naturally I have no desire to return to work (even though I am fortunate enough that my work is only of the "part-time, ivory tower" variety).

Over the past week Victory entertained many visitors and was very happy to introduce them to her babies.  It was delightful to see the puppies first engage with their guests and then, after some great romping and showing off how incredibly adorable they are, crawl into a lap or some welcoming arms and go to sleep.  (After the first time that happened, I remembered to provide cushioning for bottoms that could become quite numb during a long puppy nap . . . .)  It was wonderful to see how trusting they were and how readily they approached (and virtually adopted!) strangers:

Jazz and Twist having a Sable Sleepover in Lynda's lap

Tango settling in with Karen

Tango passed out on Donna's ankle (after attacking her toes)

Disco and I discussing whether it's really bedtime


On top of all their visitors, the Tiny Dancers have had many new adventures.  They've experienced solid food, and it turns out they are incredibly accomplished eaters, regardless of the sort of plate, tray, or feeder in which their food is offered -- plastic, metal, glass, ceramic (as long as it's full, it works for them!):

Eating their dinner (from a pasta bowl this time), having first sorted themselves by colour

They got to experience snow (on a very limited scale for now):

Twist and Jazz check out the snow.  They are sure it must be some new sort of snack . . . .


They found new and exciting things in their play areas:

Disco checks out the slide that suddenly appeared in his kitchen

And they have begun to push the boundaries.  In the course of the week they have problem-solved to figure out how to breach any of the small barricades (really just marking the edges of the play area, meant to slow them down rather than stop them from leaving) which seemed insurmountable seven or eight days ago.  They have struck out to investigate parts of the theatre which beckoned to them beyond the borders of their various stages.  They have gotten stronger and faster and more coordinated.  And they have had a wonderful time playing with each other and with their mother, who is now realizing that she created not just breast-sucking raptors but potential playmates.

Disco chatting with his Mama about the Jolly Ball

I don't think I could ever express what an incredible learning experience this is and what joy it has brought me (terror, too, but the overwhelming feeling is joy, especially now that things have been rolling along smoothly for awhile).

Now that they're eating solid food, more fun awaits us:  this week we'll start some baby "training," and I can't wait.

Through all of the different experiences geared at exposing the puppies to different sights, sounds, textures, surfaces, people, etc., etc., my main goal is not only to expand their horizons but to observe them and thereby learn who they are; only by really knowing each puppy intimately will I be able to make the best match for each one with its forever home.  The prospect of sending them on their way in only a few short weeks is both exciting and terrifying, so I need to do everything I can to make sure they go with confidence -- and that I watch them leave knowing that I have set them up for success as best I can.

I know this will seem ridiculous, but only in the middle of this week did I realize how hard it's going to be to say goodbye to Victory's Tiny Dancers.  Jean said, "Yes . . . you're not really an expert at that . . . ." -- and I realized that no, I'm not an expert at that; I'm actually more of an expert at attachment than at separation.  But if I know I've done everything I can to secure a good partnership for each baby, then I will rest easily, and I will smile as I send them on their ways.

And if you believe that last bit, I have a bit of swampland in Florida I'd be willing to sell you . . . .   ;-)


The Tiny Dancers at five weeks

Twist

Jazz

Disco

Tango









1 comment:

  1. Got caught up on the blog today. You have created, are creating, a wonderful little, early biography. And, your words are still managing to make me a little teary-eyed - though a calm, happy teary-eyed now. They are adorable and starting to look more like shelties every day. And, your comment about only now realizing how hard it's going to be to say goodbye to Victory's Tiny Dancers does seem a little ridiculous. I've been thinking about what that moment would be like since before they were born, and my heart goes out to you.

    ReplyDelete